Google+ Followers

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Jalie 2908

I made Jeans!!! And they actually fit!!!

The pattern I used is Jalie 2908 a bootleg stretch jean pattern that I read good things on other blogs. I used size W but took out most of the flare on the lower legs. Also used view A with the low rise. 


Hmm not sure why the picture posted sideways. I found a stretchy black seude demin at Fabricland cheap to test out this pattern. It's actually a quite nice fabric so it's a wearable muslin. I do think I need to go up a size though as they are comfortable but a little tight. Here are some pictures but black is hard to show details. 

The pattern directions are excellant though I'm not used to using a 3/8" seam allowance so I had to watch myself.  

I plan to sew another version but sizing up using a cotton sateen stretch fabric I have on had. 

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Tracy Reese Vogue 1086

Hello! Been a little quite in blogging, some sewing has been happening but not as much as usual. After so many knits the past while, I felt the need to sew something more challenging. Enter Tracy Reese Vogue 1086 couture pattern. 
This pattern calls for French seams, binding zipper tape and binding neck/armholes.  I did sew French seams one time many years ago but had never bound the zipper tape before. 

After reading the reviews online (one advantage of taking so long to sew a pattern) that the bodice ran big and the v neck low, I made several changes. Instead of my usual size 14 bust to a size 16 waist, I used size 12 bust to size 14 waist and got a good fit. The bust is still very blousey so I'm very glad I sized down. I also raised the v neck 1 inch and lengthened the bodice my usual 1 1/2 inches. 

The fabric is a high end polyester that I got at the closeout of a fabric boutique. It's a really pretty coral colour that is crinkled and doesn't feel like a poly. 


I wore the dress for the first time yesterday and it's comfy. The only thing that bugs me a little is the zipper. I couldn't get the zipper to lay flat between the French seam below so there is a bit of a bump. I fiddled with it quite a bit but couldn't get it completely smooth. 

I think this was the last of my summer sewing. Although the weather is still hot , cold weather is not far off. And I really need new pants. I live in dresses and skirts in the summer and while I do wear them with wool tights in the winter it's not practical when it's minus 30. My attempts at a TNT pants pattern last year was a bust. So I'm really hoping that this year I have some success. Fingers crossed and more to come!