Google+ Followers

Sunday, 16 February 2014

A Success and A Failure

Remember I posted in my sewing goals for 2014 I wanted to sew slips? Well I had a success and a failure. 

First the failure,


Yes the full slip was a failure. Sign. It's too small across the boobs and too short over the boobs as well as they aren't full covered.  The pattern I used is Kwik 1066. 


I've often heard that the older Kwik patterns are great and I have to agree. I love the fact the pattern has a reminder of which way the stretch is supposed to go and the directions are very good. I don't have much experience working with elastic and lace so it was a good learning experience. Sewing the tricot however was extremely frustrating as my machine hated this fabric. It kept getting sucked into the stitch hole and twice I had to take my machine apart to free the fabric. I've made notes so once I located a better stretch satin fabric there will be another attempt at the pattern. 

Now for the success,


I made a half slip! Wow sorry for the bad photo. I had leftover supplies from the full slip and I used Kwik 204. 


It's a pretty simple make. Took me maybe a hour total including cutting the fabric. But it's one 2014 goal checked off the list!

I have several projects planned that I'm excited to make. More posts soon!

Pencil Skirts

I picked up two lovely pieces of wool a few months ago that I posted about. They were $10 a meter which is a bargain. I knew that I wanted to make pencil skirts at the time as I don't have many. After searching through all my patterns, Burda and Ottobre magazines I finally settled on this Octtobre Spring/Summer 2/2013. 


I had a subscription for a couple of years but didn't renew last year as I found I wasn't sewing the Ottobre patterns. Partly because I had a few failures due to not being able to figure out the sizing. Like Burda there is no where in the magazine that tells you the final measurements. I fell between a size 42 and size 44. So I decided to go with a size 42 with 1" seam allowances. Turned out size 42 was the perfect size. 

The patten I picked is Nifty and Neat pencil skirt. 


Lol caught my shadow in the photo. The pattern called for gathering the outside fabric at the waist and using darts on the lining. I did darts on both sides as I thought the gathering wouldn't be very flattering.

Hmmm, should have pressed them both before pictures. I lined them with dark grey lining I had kicking around in stash and also had zippers in stash. 

Now that I've figured out my size in Ottobre I'm sure there will be more makes. 





McCall's M6408 view B

Hello, it's been a while! There has been sewing happening but no posting. I'm afraid that I've been lazy about taking pictures. 

Ignore the messy sewing room lol. It is McCall's 6408 using view B.  I read reviews online that this pattern runs really big so I went down a size. Good thing! I can't believe how much ease there is in this pattern. It's very cozy and makes a good warm cardigan for the winter. I used a poly blend knit I picked up a couple months ago in the spree I posted about.  Actually I wish I had more of this fabric as it would make great lounging pants as it is a nice weight with good recovery. 

I will make another of these at some point but I will most likely size down some more on the lower half. It's a good wardrobe basic. 

More posts to come :)