Google+ Followers

Sunday, 25 August 2013

Claiming my Blog

Follow">http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10433243/?claim=72pzx2y63bz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Newlook 6053

After finishing Burda 05-2009-123, I wanted a quick project. So I whipped up Newlook 6053 view D, a basic and very easy skirt pattern. I went down a size as this pattern has 4 1/2" of ease! I don't understand why they add so much ease to these patterns, it would be way too big if I had cut the suggested size.

The fabric I used is a linen or linen look-a-like as I purchased the fabric off the clearance wall of Fabricland last year for $2 or $4 so this is a very cheap skirt :). There is a really nice turquoise thread pattern with red sequins.


Hmmm....picture seems to have over exposed.



Rather crappy pictures I'm afraid. I should try taking them outdoors in the future.

Last night I cut and taped 30 pages of Burda 09-2011-128 that I downloaded off Burda Styles. I still have to trace out the pattern after all that work. Unfortunately, I don't have this issue of the magazines, I'd much rather trace of the pattern sheets than spend all that time taping sheets together.

I'm hoping this pattern will be a go to basic blouse pattern as I could use more blouses. I'm going to make this up in white as I don't have a basic white blouse.

Saturday, 24 August 2013

Burda 05-2009-123 Finished!

This afternoon I finally finished Burda 05-2009-123! It fits good, though if I were to make this again I would probably lower the empire line by 1/4" or so.

Chiffon is definitely NOT my favourite fabric to work with. My serger didn't particularly like the fabric either as it tended to shred along the edges as I was serging. I guess I could have done French seams to finish the edges, oh well.


I tacked stitched the ruffle edges together at the V-neck to prevent the neckline from gaping, it's actually really secure.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this dress. I doubt I would make this pattern again unless perhaps I fell in love with a lightweight shear fabric, lol.

Monday, 19 August 2013

Baby Knitting

I'm still working on Burda 05-2009-123....haven't been in the mood lately for much sewing. I've got everything cut out, pleats and darts done. Next is attaching the ruffle. I'm sure once I get going on it, it won't take long to get it done.

In the meantime, I thought I would post some recent baby knitting.


The sweater is knitting with Sirdar snuggly baby yarn from the knitting book "Vintage Baby Knit" by Kristen Rengren. The parents weren't finding out the sex of the baby so I needed a pattern that would work for both.  The booties pattern is "Oh! Baby Baby Booties" by Double Diamond Knits. It's available on Ravelry. It's a very quick knit even for me.

Sunday, 11 August 2013

Up Next Burda 05-2009-123



My next project is Burda 05-2009-123 which is going to be made out of a polyester chiffon. In spite of the fact this is an old pattern, I could only find 3 reviews on line. One stated the neckline gaped and another said it was low. I'll have to make it up to see if I need some snaps or a modesty panel at the neckline.

I will be making a few changes to the pattern:

  • It has facings even though it is fully lined so I'm eliminating those. Why have facings that always want to flip out?
  • There will be no ruffle at the hemline as I think having both the neckline and hem ruffled will be a bit much
  • The sleeve hem and skirt hem will be rolled hemmed on my serger. No way am I going to try to get a neat hem out of chiffon

Burda calls for silk batiste, a fabric I've never seen before. I find Burda often uses fabrics I've either never have heard of before (and have to Google) or ones I've never seen in any fabric store. I will be using polyester chiffon which is from stash, I think it will work the same as the recommend fabric.


This project will take me far longer to complete than yesterdays, I'm hoping to have it done by the end of next weekend.



Saturday, 10 August 2013

Burda 04-2011-114


My new top from black and silver satin using Burda 04-2011-114 is all done! It fits quite well though I warn anyone making this top that not only is it drafted short, the arm holes are quite tight as well.  If I ever use this pattern again I will scope out the arm holes to make them more roomy.



Yay.....this picture loaded right side up!

First Project

Good morning!

This weekend's sewing project is Burda magazine's April 2011 issue style 114.  I'm making some changes to the pattern however.  The length is being greatly extended as not only is the top rather short as drafted, I have a long torso and have to add 1 1/2" to every bodice.  Also, I made this up in a nasty polyester (seriously, the only thing the fabric had going for it was a pretty colour and pattern) that was a major failure largely due to the neck and arm hole facings that kept flipping out even when tacked down. So I'm going to cut bias strips to use to bind the neck and arm holes.

The fabric I'm using another polyester but this time a nicer one that is a satin black and silver. Hopefully, this one is a success as my last 2 projects ended up in the trash!

Not sure why the pictures loaded sideways. I'm still figuring out how to use blogger.


 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thursday, 8 August 2013

Introduction

This blog was started as a diary of things I make as well to show people the results of all my hobbies. I mainly do garment sewing, some quilting and a little knitting (I'm a very sloooow knitter lol). I will post some follow up posts in the next few days of my current projects, future planned and perhaps a few that I have already completed.